The summer is supposed to be a time of relaxation and fun with friends and family. However, About 702 heat-related deaths happen every year, according to the CDC. Is it possible to still enjoy your summer vacation without the risk of suffering a heat-related injury? Here are five ways that you can beat the heat and stay cool this summer.
Traveling this summer? Don’t leave without the proper coverage! Learn more about our travel insurance plans!
- Stay Hydrated – One of the worst things you can do during the summer is avoid water! Make sure to keep a bottle of water with you at all times and drink 8-10 glasses each day. Not a big water fan? Consider eating water-heavy foods like watermelon, celery, pineapples, and cucumber.
- Dress Properly – Make sure your clothes are loose-fitting and light-colored if you’ll be outside in the sun. This will help air circulate around your body. Wearing dark colors or tight clothes will attract heat and make you hotter. You can also wear cool, long-sleeve summer clothing that protects from UV rays. Also, make sure to wear your sunscreen and reapply it regularly.
- Become Friends With Fans And Shade – Even if you are outside, do your best to find the shadiest spot(s) you can. This will limit your sun exposure and help keep you cool. Also, make sure to keep a fan nearby to help keep you cool – it can be a boxed fan, a handheld fan, or even a great, old-fashioned church fan!
- Be Strategic About Outdoor Activities – Speaking of shade, make sure to remain indoors as much as you can. Make sure to research the hottest times of day in your area and avoid doing any significant activities during that time. A general rule of thumb is to plan your activities early in the morning or late afternoon.
- Cool Down Regularly – If you start feeling like you are getting too hot, take a cool shower to help lower your body temperature. You can also get a cold towel and place it on your head and the back of your neck to help you cool down.
Bell & Associates offers health insurance, life insurance, Medicare, dental insurance, vision insurance, and more. Request a quote today!
Summertime is intended to be fun and carefree, but you have to make sure you are taking the necessary steps to ensure you stay safe and healthy. Remember our tips above to ensure you stay cool and safe this summer. What other tips do you have to stay cool in the hot summer months? Please share them in the comments!